I talked Tiff into a 3 Greens Massaged Salad – more I talked her into massaging the greens. She worked out their kinks and we ended up with this beautifully wilted salad with all kinds of little goodies hidden inside along side a piece of garlic crusted cod.
MASSAGED 3 GREEN SALADS
adapted from Nouveau Raw
- ⅔ head of mustard greens
- ½ head of kale
- ½ lb of spinach
- 1 lemon, cut lengthwise & juiced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ chopped green onions
- ½ dried cranberries, or more to taste
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
- Wash the greens really good, especially since they’re fresh. Pat or spin dry. Chiffonade or thinly cut the greens.
- In a large bowl, mix the lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, olive oil and cumin. Mix this up well, it’s your dressing.
- Add the chopped greens to the dressing mix. Now the fun part, literally massage the dressing in. It will get messy but you’ll end up with a beautiful slightly wilted salad. Massage until the greens break down and turn slightly darker. You’ll know it when you see it.
- After massaged, add the green onions, avocado, cranberries and tomatoes and toss the salad.
So why massage you ask? It helps to break down the greens bitterness and allows the other flavors to step up in the salad instead of just the strong bitter flavors of the mustard greens or kale you taste the lemon, cumin and even the green onions. I promise there’s still crunchiness left and there’s something magical that happens to the salad when the greens are wilted. There’s even an article on Huffington Post about it.
Try it for yourself!
You can eat this salad on its own or pair with chicken or fish. We chose fish and it was a truly delicious end to the work day.